Monday, December 5, 2011

President of Spain?

It turns our the President of the Government of Spain is as known to us English as the Prime Minester of Spain. The office is established under the Constitution of 1978. The King of Spain most nominate a candidate for the presidency who stands before the Congress of Deputies for a Vote of Confidence in a process known as a Congressional Investure. The current prime minister since December 21, 2011 is Mariano Rajoy Brey. As for term lengths, there are no limits. Presidents are by conventions, the leader of the victorious party. So no terms are imposed on the office.

Im sure there are many differences with the way America and Spain are run. I mean they are whole different countries. Although the nomination process seems very long and difficult I'm sure it's a very precise system. I found it surprising that there are no term lengths for Spanish Presidents. Here in America we have elections for new presidents every 4 years. I wonder how strict the Spanish democracy is. I know there are many tourists coming in and out of that country so I bet they have to keep a close eye on them. I'm also curious as to if any women have ever ran for presidency in Spain. There have been women who have ran here in the U.S but they never made it the whole way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment